Surrogacy for social reasons such as the inconvenience of carrying a child, fear of pregnancy or interrupting a career is not accepted.
Women who agree to become a surrogate may do so for compassionate reasons to help a sister, daughter or friend. Some women may agree to become surrogates for financial remuneration.
Surrogacy is a method of reproduction whereby a woman agrees to become pregnant and deliver a child for a contracted party.
To become a surrogate the woman should fulfill the following criteria:
- Age between 21 & 35 years old.
- A non smoker, on drug user who maintained a healthy life style.
- Must have successfully carried at least one pregnancy till full term.
- In a stable living situation.
- If married, have a spouse who is supportive of her decision to become a surrogate mother.
- Have a healthy, weight/height ratio.
- Should have a healthy life style and no addictions and no genetic diseases.
Once the surrogate has been selected, she undergoes a full medical and laboratory evaluation. These include following.
- A careful medical and family history
- A thorough physical examination
- A psychological evaluation
- Blood test for HIV, Hepatitis B & C an other sexually transmitted disease.
- Cervical cultures for organisms such as Chlamydia and ureaplasma
- An evaluation of the uterus by hysteroscopy
- Blood test- complete blood count, prolactin, thyroid stimulation hormone, ultrasound of pelvis and abdomen.